Academy for Professional Training, Research and Musical Performance
Direction : Jordi Savall
The Academies for Professional Training, Research and Musical Performance project of the Fundació Centre Internacional de Música Antiga are intensive week-long workshops led by a team of professors for professional young singers who wish to further their study, research and performance techniques in the field of historical music under the guidance and direction of Jordi Savall.
The project is based on the experience of Jordi Savall and Montserrat Figueras from 1990 to 2006 – 26 years teaching the Curs de Música Antiga de Catalunya (in Poblet, La Seu d’Urgell and Sant Feliu de Guíxols). The musicians who teach at the Academy are members of the various ensembles directed by Jordi Savall, such as La Capella Reial de Catalunya and Le Concert des Nations.
The CIMA Foundation’s Academy is a pedagogical initiative inspired in similar experiences in Europe and the United States and which have had a great impact on the revival of the musical heritage of the countries concerned. The unique feature of our Academy is that it develops a musical project within the framework of an established concert season.
Jordi Savall’s Academy for Professional Training, Research and Musical Performance pursues the following aims:
- To give professional young musicians (under 33) the opportunity to enhance their training in the performance of historical music with Jordi Savall.
- To transmit and teach new performance techniques in voice, singing, orchestral work, style, declamation, articulation, dynamics, phrasing and musical ornamentation to new generations of musicians.
- To propose new avenues for the expression of musical beauty and emotion using performance techniques based on rigorous historical principles.
- To create synergies between professional young musicians and the renowned teachers and musicians who lead the sessions.
- To give young musicians the opportunity to participate in the choir or orchestra of the prestigious musical ensembles directed by Jordi Savall, such as La Capella Reial de Catalunya and Le Concert des Nations, performing at the concert featuring the program studied during the Academy, and during the ensuing international tour.
- To assist young musicians in their professional advancement and to consolidate their incipient musical careers through new contracts and signing with agents.
- To enhance professional young musicians’ CVs through this training and performance experience, thus affording them international projection through their performances with the ensembles directed by Jordi Savall.
- To encourage the mobility of musicians and teachers from different parts of the world, thereby fostering the transnational nature of musical ensembles.
- To promote the musical heritage of the Renaissance, the Baroque and the Classical period, as well as the mobility of artistic products performed before widely differing audiences in concert halls and historic venues around the world
How it works
The Academy for Professional Training, Research and Musical Performance is organized by the Fundació Centre Internacional de Música Antiga in comjunction with the Escola Superior de Música de Catalunya (ESMUC). The Foundation makes an international public call to auditions to take part in the Academy. All professional young musicians under 33 years old who fulfil the requirements specified in the Academy’s conditions are eligible to apply.
All matters concerning the organization of the call for participants, the selection of singers and the auditions, as well as technical matters dealing with participants’ travel, hotels and expenses, are centrally coordinated by the Fundació Centre Internacional de Música Antiga. The Academy is held at ESMUC. The Academy culminates in a major concert and includes all the engagements to perform the same repertory with the same participants before a variety of audiences in concert halls and historic venues around the world.